Every one loves crackling. Well, maybe not exactly everyone, but the vast majority of people on a keto or low carb diet do.
This very simple and “blokes approved” meal is heavenly delicious, with sharp crackling, juicy and tender meat, salty and garlicky string beans smothered in butter.
What you need:
- pork shanks or pork hocks (they are pretty much the same stuff, the shanks are meatier while the hocks are the lowest part of the leg with more bone and less meat;
- string beans
- butter (better if grass fed, but any butter will do, in Australia most butter is grass fed anyway)
- garlic (fresh or powder)
How to prepare it:
- Dry the skin of the shanks with a paper towel, salt it generously and put it on the oven rack (better put a tray underneath to collect the juices, or you’ll make a smoky mess!);
- put it into the oven, switch it on, set it at 130°, bake for two hours
- in the meanwhile, put some butter in a large pan, add a lot of chopped garlic (or garlic powder) and the string beans; let it cook on low until tender enough, transfer in a bowl with all the butter and let it rest;
- after two hours, raise the oven temperature to 220° and cook the pork for another hour.